We’re halfway through the year so I thought I’d give you a list of 75 truths that cost you nothing but may make your life easier to manage, understand, or traverse.
I’m not going to do too much explaining because I know you’re all smart enough to fill in the blanks.
Live your life like there’s no tomorrow while planning what you’re going to do tomorrow and next year.
Write to me and let me know your favorite.
Okay here goes.
- Every day, smile at a random person just because that may the highlight of their day.
- Life isn’t meant to be a competitive sport. You’re only in competition with yourself.
One of my favorites
3. You can do anything for a year. Yes, you sure can.
4. Being grateful on a daily basis can change your perspective on life and living.
5. When you make a mistake, it’s actually a lesson in disguise. Don’t learn the lesson you’ll repeat the mistake.
6. Most students in high school, and even college, are virgins.
7. When you close your mouth and listen to those around you—you’ll be surprised what you learn.
8 After a break up from a romantic relationship, you need to take a break for one year. That means stay celibate and heal. Refer back to #3.
9. If someone honks in the driveway for you to come out make them come knock on the door.
10. Listen to both sides of an argument —there could be valid points from both sides.
11. Always show up when and where you say you’re going to otherwise you look immature and unreliable.
12. Take a leap of faith. If you’re living in a protective bubble you’re missing out on living life. Get out there and experience it.
13. Use a watch/phone timer. Be on time. It’s a sign of respect.
14. You don’t need to agree with people’s points of view but you do need to be respectful.
15. Everyone should live alone for at least a year and know that they can support themselves and stand their own company. See #3.
16. To expand on #15 for young women who feel trapped in a manipulative or abusive relationship–know you can do it on your own.
17. If you don’t trust yourself to make good choices for yourself why would you trust others to make those choices for you?
18. To be successful means to keep going no matter what.
19. Do not use Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, or any other media outlet for professional medical and/or psychological advice. You have no idea what crap people can come out with. If you need a doctor go see one–it could save your life.
20. You know that stuff you keep losing? give it a home and keep it there—phone/chargers/keys etc.
21. If in a classroom situation, you have a question, put your hand up, and ask. Usually, if one person doesn’t understand there’ll be others too.
22. Visit your parents. Visit your grandparents. Ask questions. Learn your family history (including medical info). You know why.
23. If you’ve made a mistake, own it. Apologize and admit your responsibility.
24. You can’t die from a broken heart but ohhhh it sure feels like you will.
25. Unplug. Take a weekend when you can and let the poison escape you.
26. If you’re going to post or say something about someone, it better be something you’d be willing to say to their face because it will get back to them sooner or later.
27. If you’re in a relationship and your partner hits you–get out–NOW. Don’t wait. Don’t forgive. Just get out. This goes for guys too… abuse goes both ways.
28. Friendships and relationships are like a garden–they need to be tended to regularly. Phone your buds. Invest some time and effort.
29. Surround yourself with successful and like-minded people. It’s a good thing.
30. If someone is talking (gossiping) to you about another person they’re also talking about you when you’re not there.
31. Love is real at every age.
32. The grass isn’t greener on the other side. Believe me when I say there’s a bunch of weeds over there too.
33. The next time you go to buy something for yourself ask if you truly need it.
34. If your body is tired—rest it. Don’t ignore the signs of what your body is trying to tell you.
35. Know that you are unique in this world and that you are special.
36. A drowning person will pull you under with them. Sometimes you need to throw them a life ring and keep your distance.
37. The Hokey Pokey sucks. Seriously overrated.
38. Brush and floss every day. It’s important.
39. You know in the movies when the main character comes home to finds the front door wide open and the lights not working—leave. Dial 911. Don’t go in. For God’s sake back away slowly….
40. You can always blame Auntie. I’m down with that. If you need out of a situation just say that you promised to pick me up or your old Auntie needs you. I’m a good scapegoat I promise.
41. You like pepperoni—they like veggie–it’s all good. Don’t judge.
42. Don’t ever run to the streets. If you’re going to run away, find Auntie or talk to your school Principal or doctor–someone. Your safety is paramount.
43. Being in constant pain—either physical or mental—is not the norm. Please seek help.
44. Know your limits. Whether it be sex, drugs, alcohol—it really is ok to say no.
45. You can be guilty by association. Just saying…Know where you are and with whom. If there’s that tingly feeling on the back of your neck get out now. Don’t hang around.
46. Younger people are watching you–make sure you’re a good role model.
47. Keep your finger and toenails nicely trimmed and tidy. It shows you care about yourself.
48. Don’t be afraid to indulge. Chocolate…yum!
49. An apple a day is great but don’t forget about pomegranates or a beautiful star fruit. Variety is the spice of life.
50. People are complicated and multifaceted. That’s what makes life exciting.
51. Fear will hold you back. Making calculated risks is smart and necessary in life. This can be taking a trip or talking to a stranger. It will help you build confidence and courage.
52. I’ve changed careers five times so far in my life. There’s no need to think that where you are now is where you’ll be in 20 years. Change is good.
53. Don’t follow blindly. You don’t know where you’ll end up. It’s better to take the lead.
54. If someone—anyone—says “no” or “stop” at any time—you do just that. No questions.
55. If you can avoid debt you’ll go far.
56. Learn from the diversity in the world. Travel. languages, food.
57. Sometimes we feel like crap. We’re sad and want to burrow into our bed and not get up. Give yourself a time limit. 48 hours at the very most—lick your wounds and then give yourself a kick in the butt and get moving again. You can’t avoid life. Heck, you don’t want to avoid life.
58. Listen to your gut. It’s often right–whether it’s stress sensitive or lactose intolerant…it knows.
59. There will always be someone better than you. Accept it and move on. Don’t compare yourself to others.
60. Tomorrow is just a concept in thought.
61. If you suffer from social anxiety you **must** push yourself out of your comfort zone at least an inch at a time. I know it’s like way scary but if you don’t you’ll be stuck forever. It’s imperative that anticipated issues brought on by anxiety and fear not hold you back from living life.
62. Hugs are truly healing.
63. Don’t expect perfection from yourself or others. It’s not fair and you’ll always be disappointed.
64. Say what you mean and mean what you say. This is powerful
65. Stop worrying about what “might” happen as it will paralyze you. Deep breath and keep going.
66. People change in life. You’re not the same person you were five years ago and in five years you’ll have changed and grown even more.
67. Ditch the alcohol, weed, and drugs they’ll bring you down. Not worth it.
68. You can’t be everywhere at once. If you have a FOMO (fear of missing out) attitude then you’ll be constantly stressed. Allow for downtime and slow down. It’s ok—you don’t need to be everywhere.
69. Not everyone will like you and that’s okay.
70. Learn grace. What it is and why you need it.
71. Make a list of ten things you want to do or accomplish in the next six months and make it happen
72. Even your strengths can be your weakness. Think about that.
73. Practice an ancient form of communication by having a face to face conversation with someone.
74. Be willing to forgive yourself. Don’t constantly beat yourself up.
75. If someone pays you a compliment say thank you.
And…go forth and conquer like I know you will.
If you enjoyed this post, don’t forget to like, comment, share and follow.
Thanks again for dropping by.
Sign up for my sometimes newsletter. You won’t be sorry.